Catch me if you can

AuthorTopic: Failure to start game  (Read 2461 times)

SirMcKillem

Failure to start game
« on: April 11, 2005, 03:46:38 am »
Unfortunately I can't read, write, or speak German, so the bug may have been reported, but I have no way to tell.

I was playing my character on TCP/IP with a friend, I had to go do something so I shut down the game, same as usual.  When I tried to restart the game in single player, I came up with "can't start the game, bad header".  I could start the game on TCP/IP but in that mode, I could only access 1 page of the stash.  All the other characters I had were also affected.  Only 1 solution left, uninstall the game and start from scratch. Bummer!!

SirMcKillem

Offline Obliviator

• my Votes: +0/-0
    • Poke This Member
    • http://
Failure to start game
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2005, 06:03:35 am »
This has happened to me countless times. I've posted about it multiple times and still have not received a fix for it. The problem specifically is PlugY. It's getting corrupted. I have tried replacing it with a different version but Chaos has some detection that prevents the game from running if this is done. So best bet is get an earlier version, assuming you can even find one (I've no luck with that so far) as this version is very unstable.
I turned to speak to God about the worlds despair, but to make matters worse I found God wasn't there. --Robert Frost

Offline Obliviator

• Poke This Member
    • http://
Failure to start game
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2005, 03:55:15 pm »
Actually it was not solved there, a new version of PlugY was just released which supposedly fixes this bug. We'll have to wait for Chaos to add it to his mod of course.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2005, 03:55:55 pm by Obliviator »
I turned to speak to God about the worlds despair, but to make matters worse I found God wasn't there. --Robert Frost

Offline Naenz

• Poke This Member
    • inhabitant post
Re: Failure to start game
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2005, 01:16:27 am »
Has this problem been fixed yet? I was quite excited for my brother to get back from university this summer so I could show him ChaosEmpire, and now that he's addicted we want to be able to play TCP/IP without worrying about losing items. I had a backup of my stash file, so I didn't lose much.

We're both running from 7.55 downloaded only a few days ago (start of May).

Also, if someone gets this problem: look in your ce_mod folder under your d2 save folder, there may be one or more 0kb files: one will be your shared stash (.sss) and one will be your character's personal stash (.d2x). Delete any 0kb files, or replace them with older backups, and your characters will be accessible again, with perhaps an older stash.

You could keep trying TCP/IP, but it seems that the corruption can happen at any moment. My brother and I started new characters and got to level 17 before something went wrong.

Offline DrowElf

• my Votes: +75/-14
    • Poke This Member
    • DrowElfs Tools
  • CE-Net Account: drow-elf (HC-only)
Re: Failure to start game
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2005, 01:29:54 am »
You should download the newest update 7.57 (look unter downloads).

In this download there is the newest and we hope failure-free plugy included, by now it seems so that this failure depends on the actual plugy version in CE 7.55.