Catch me if you can

AuthorTopic: Quick Questions  (Read 7218 times)

Offline MrBad151Topic starter

• my Votes: +0/-0
    • Poke This Member
Quick Questions
« on: November 17, 2005, 05:47:27 pm »
1. Is 10k the max damage you can do with Frenzy? 
2. Do you always get the same item when you use the recipe to make a "set" item?  I've done it twice now and got the same item, ofcourse it could just be bad luck (as it wasn't the item I was after) but having cost me 10 rare jewels already I'd figure I'd ask before I wasted 5 more rare jewels.
3. Can all set items be gambled?  I seem to be having bad luck getting the last item for about 5 different sets..
4. Is there any way to remove Physical immunity from a cold immune critter?  Amplify damge use to remove PI.. but it doesn't seem to now.  PI black knights suck for a barbarian..
« Last Edit: November 17, 2005, 05:51:07 pm by MrBad151 »
"As the radius of knowledge increases, so does the circumference of my ignorance"

Offline webwalker

• Owner of the post with highest quality
  • my Votes: +37/-8
  • The Rune after "Jah" should be "WOHL!" yes?
    • Poke This Member
    • My Inhabitant Post.
Re: Quick Questions
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2005, 06:59:54 pm »
1: I don't know, I don't think so.  Do you have 10K as the damage now?  How many +skill items do you have, and on what level character?  What merc with what equipment?

2: When you make a Set item, there may only be one choice, there may be several.  What you get *might* be a Rare with triple durability (Normal Blizzard "logic"), I think the answer to "what will I get" depends on the level of the character cubing the components.  If you're cubing a set ring, for example, there are *many* choices and I don't know whether they're equally likely.  If you try to cube a Bartuc's Breastplate, you're also trying to cube an Isenhart's Breastplate (same ingredients!) and a Fernadez's Breastplate, and there may be other choices.  What are you attempting to cube?
3: All can be gambled, not all have the same likelyhood. Even with my level 9x character, Isenhart's Breastplate is more common that Fernandez's, which is in turn more common that Bartuc's.
4: "random" unbreakable immunities can't be removed, even by AmpDamage, Lower Resists, and Freezing Target.  Freezing removes many immunities, so a Cham rune in a ring is a great help, but CI/PI are a pain (CI means that freezing won't remove any immunity): put a point in Berserk, and only CI/PI/MI are a pain then.  For them, Gimmershreds and a Deamon Limb are called for.

Offline godemperor

• my Votes: +6/-1
  • Realm: CCC
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2005, 07:41:48 pm »
Mrbad151 I have just a little to add from what webwalker added.

1.  Frenzy can go ALOT higher then 10k.  I beleive it's possible to go over 100k with Items.  Do you use tempered Items with Runewords?

2&3 answered well by webwalker

4. Webwalker answered well but just additional info. 
Barbarians have Berzerk.   It does Magic Damage and alot of it.   So try it againest PI. Also Frenzy and WW have a synergy bonus with Berzerk so up to 20% damage will be Magic Damage when using those attacks.
GodEmperor
Seek the Rhino, Know the Rhino, Be the RHINO
Praise the Horn!!!

• Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2005, 11:14:51 pm »
I use beserk for most PI's, but critters like Black Knights in Act 4 are a pain in the rear.  If you get one that is PI/CI.. they are naturally Magic immune.. well as a zerker.. your .. looking for the items Web mentioned.. hehe

I'm useing 2 sword of a "set" (I forget which one) but I've added points into taunt and one of the swords has max damage that increases with lvl, and my damage stayed at 10k EXACTLY.. which I thought a strange amount to begin with.  I'll do some testing and see if I can get it over 10k with charms or something then report back if I can't.
"As the radius of knowledge increases, so does the circumference of my ignorance"

Offline webwalker

• Poke This Member
    • My Inhabitant Post.
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2005, 12:54:36 am »
*blush*  I'd forgotten about them being MI in higher levels.  The Demon Limb is to enchant (yourself) and the gimmershreads are to do elemental damage from a distance (IronMaiden protection).

What's your merc (and merc's gear)?

• Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2005, 05:19:16 am »
For my Zerker I'm using an Act 3 cold merc. with forgotten treasure set.  If anyone has suggestions I'd love to hear them.  For my Zerker, I'm trying to complete the Tribute to Chaos set.. I'm just missing the chest piece at the moment.  Right now my Zerker is using a rare ornate with fortitude.  Fortitude rune word kind sucks when you have lots of archers/arctic blasing using critters running around.

edit:  Ahh.. just figured out the frenzy damage thingy.  Damage shown in the character screen is rounded down once you pass 10k.. so everything between 10k and 11k shows as 10k.  My last couple of damage increases must not have been enough to bump me past 11k.. so it showed no increase in damage.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2005, 06:35:57 am by MrBad151 »

Offline Samel 2.0

• Enter your Realm here
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2005, 01:39:04 pm »
For my Zerker I'm using an Act 3 cold merc.  with forgotten treasure set.If anyone has suggestions I'd love to hear them.

The Corruption Coils Set gives (as a full Set Bonus) 100% additional Elemental Damage, going together with a massive Life Drain of about 160. Never tried it out myself with a merc, but it is said that the life regeneration rate of a merc should be high enogh to compensate the drain.

A Second way to boost up the merc's Cold Damage should be using the Imperial Helm (Path of Bravery Set) which reduces monsters' cold resistance massively.

Offline webwalker

• Poke This Member
    • My Inhabitant Post.
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2005, 05:37:47 pm »
AIUI, "life drain" does not affect mercs.  This is good, because they're too dumb to take potions, if they were smart enough to know how to carry them! On the down side, PMH does not take effect when used by a merc either.

Offline PQCE

• my Votes: +5/-3
    • Poke This Member
    • Einwohnerseite
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2005, 09:40:58 pm »
4. Is there any way to remove Physical immunity from a cold immune critter? Amplify damge use to remove PI.. but it doesn't seem to now. PI black knights suck for a barbarian..

Yes, there is one.

One effect of the sanctuary aura is, that physical resistance of an undead monster will be set to 0 (negative resistance remain negative). Thats works with phyiscal immune monsters too. This only works for the char, who have this aura.

Source: Lurker Lounge

Here are the items, that have sanctuary:

Narrow Path Between Light and Darkness
Char's Annulus of Obscurity
Ring
Level Required: 51
-1 to Light Radius
1 to Paladin Skill Levels
12 - 15 to Sanctuary

Hollowed Ground
Boneweave Boots
Defense: 24 - 27
Damage: 69 - 118
Durability: 16
Required Strength: 118
Level Required: 76
1 to Paladin Skill Levels
150% - 200% Enhanced Defense
25% Faster Hit Recovery
125% to Damage to Undead
Slain Monsters Rest in peace
Level 2 - 5 Sanctuary Aura when equipped
15 - 25 to Dexterity
Color on char: Dark Yellow
Color in inventory: Dark Yellow

My druid use this boots and its great against all undeads.

Offline Samel 2.0

• Enter your Realm here
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2005, 02:06:07 pm »
*blush*  I'd forgotten about them being MI in higher levels.  The Demon Limb is to enchant (yourself) and the gimmershreads are to do elemental damage from a distance (IronMaiden protection).

As for IM monsters, there might be another nice thing being worth a try.

Unique Flying Knife "Fallen Glory" wich offers Fire Mastery as an o-Skill and also "piercing attack"
 So, going together with Enchant (from Demon Limb, Uber Belt or some friendly sorceress within the Party) and runeword Dragon as a Shield (which has Holy Fire  Aura when Equipped... which also is afected by FM), there could be lot of fire Damage being dealt from a distance and also piercing and hitting multiple monsters.

On the other Hand, this is just plain theory, don't know how much +skills it actually needs to deal serious damage as I never tried out a setup like exactly this, only thing I ever tested was a Pala-Zeolot with Holy Fire (+Synergies), Uberbelt-Enchant and an FM Weapon... which resulted in quite impressive Damage
« Last Edit: November 26, 2005, 02:14:35 pm by Samel 2.0 »

• Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2005, 08:03:54 pm »
Got another question..  I distroyed Mephesto's soul stone and got a Doll..  a Mephesto doll.. but I can't tell from the list what teddy skill he would give..   Did the quest with another character and got a Amazon Doll.. again I'm not sure what this would give as a teddy skill..I'm guessing the Amazon falls under the Open character spot, but I've no clue on the Meph doll.

Oh yeah!  The Lava Maws in act V(in Niks temple and the world stone room)  need some tweeking!  They are far more powerful than anything else in the entire act! Including Baal!  As far as I can tell they have a ridiculous amount of hitpoints, although I guess it might be their resists. I've tried everything to see if they have a weakness and nothing seems to work.  They are hard to hit, and take very little damage from physical attacks.  Poison, lightning, fire, cold are all just minor annoyances to the lava maws as they kill any and all henchmen I bring along. 

The lava maws in act 1 and act 3 aren't bad, the acid they spit can be dangerous, but atleast they aren't almost impossible to kill.  Niks temple use to be my favorite place to get xp.. now If I see the dogs.. I just run through it...

Offline webwalker

• Poke This Member
    • My Inhabitant Post.
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2005, 08:14:33 pm »
HellForge Quest Dolls come in three grades...

1: Dolls giving teddy skills when cubed with your teddy.  This is what you're looking for, but it is not what you're getting.
2: "Class" dolls.  Get one of each and cube the 7 together, you get 3 "Book of Wisdom" for a few million exp each (great for boosting a starter character).
3: Other dolls, like Mephisto, just toss them in the puppenkeist.  No special attributes.

Offline ChaosEmpire

• 1st CE Player
  • my Votes: +517/-120
  • Ich bin hier auf der Arbeit, nicht auf der Flucht
    • Poke This Member
    • My inhabitant post
  • BattleTag: ChaosEmpire#2215
  • CE-Net Account: ChaosEnergy[CE]
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2005, 09:32:11 pm »
oh webwalker..the tossed dolls have a high value...

CEmail: chaosenergy(a)chaosempire.eu
Chaos Empire® is a registered Trademark of Hans-Jürgen Ohler ©2003-2012

• Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2005, 09:39:48 pm »
So let me see if I got this right...  Not all the dolls that drop from the hellforge quest give teddy skills, but you can only do the hellforge quest 3 times per character...  So if you do the hellforge quest and get a normal doll.. you are just S.O.L.?  From the list its possible to get a doll that gives a skill you can't even use..  Which isn't a big deal with shared stashes, but getting a normal doll kinda sucks.  If I want to get skills for my teddy, I'm going to have to make a character just to do the hellforge quest and HOPE I get a "skill" doll.... Bleh!

Offline Olfmo

• HammAdmin
  • my Votes: +182/-92
    • Poke This Member
    • My Inhabitant Thread
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2005, 09:52:47 pm »

now you start with that again :)

they can't be used for a (known) recipe

but of course you can put them into your doll stash
mine got +1 lr at 55 dolls and i put at least 5 act bosses in before :)

Offline Yov de Art

• Enter your Realm here
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2005, 12:19:12 pm »
Is it possible to get character doll form soulstones or eggs?

Offline DrowElf

• my Votes: +75/-14
    • Poke This Member
    • DrowElfs Tools
  • CE-Net Account: drow-elf (HC-only)
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2005, 12:37:34 pm »
Is it possible to get character doll form soulstones or eggs?

I think you mean from "souls" or eggs. :D

And the answer is nobody has ever postet something like this and i think its impossible.

Offline Yov de Art

• Enter your Realm here
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2005, 12:49:21 pm »
Thnks. And another queston: The recipe of 1 book of Wizdom is still working? And if yes, what do i need to make it?(what exactly)

Offline ChaosEmpire

• 1st CE Player
    • Poke This Member
    • My inhabitant post
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2005, 12:50:14 pm »
you need all 7 different character dolls, and you get 3 BoW

• Poke This Member
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2005, 03:11:34 pm »
soulstones? what are these?  I've yet to run across one.

Offline ChaosEmpire

• 1st CE Player
    • Poke This Member
    • My inhabitant post

Offline webwalker

• Poke This Member
    • My Inhabitant Post.
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2005, 03:29:31 pm »

Their "high value" seems to be their value in teasing us... like Mysterious Scrolls.

Soul Stones: follow the link Chaos gave to see what their stats/effects are.

How to get them?
1: Go to hell.  (I love telling my fellow players that!)
2: Go to act 5
3: Kill Nihlathak (sp?) and a door opens under his feet (of where he's initially standing, not where he dies... he might move, it's where he starts standing)
4: Go down, down, down, down.  You'll see levels that look like Act1 Jail, but full of *really*  unplesant characters.  Other levels look like the Swampy Pit.  THen you'll get to levels that look like the Crystalline Passage, which have "to the Frozen River" side-places; these say "to a nasty place".  Enter if you dare.  In these Nasty Places that look like Durance of Hate level 1, there is Iron Maiden, so be careful, and there are Vile Witches which shoot tiny red balls, smaller than those from the succubi in WorldStoneKeep.  VileWitches can drop, inter alia, unique charms.  They might be Soul Stones.

Offline bdpf

• Old Gummy. i'm slower now. Stories can be told.
  • my Votes: +6/-0
  • Donated. Did you? (:^:) Need more coin, thou :(
    • Poke This Member
  • CE-Net Account: bdpf
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2005, 04:10:59 pm »
Real fun place to level in, bring all the help you can.. 15 levels of leveling hell.

Be sure to use telaport scrolls so you can get your body

Fun place in SP.... :s513:

bdpf
.\\||||||//.
:) +  + ;)   Don't Bite now, Lost my teeth
      /\         So now I tell rambling stories!
  / === \      Grumpy, I is
 ! /|||||\ !      Older than dirt, Piped God
 /||||||||\  aboard this here Sky boat called Earth.
          Roll my own cigarettes, strong tobacco
        Drink anything that don't kill me.
   Cleaned my musket, sharpened the blades
Long Bow is strong,  arrows heads sharp, start running
Wannabe wordsmith, stories fabricated.
Don't call me late for lunch

Offline Yov de Art

• Enter your Realm here
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2005, 08:41:04 pm »
Sorry about my stupid question, but has anybody had bug with mana-drain using "Prayer" rune-word? It drains mana from my char? and that's why I can't use "Berserk"...

Offline back2toxic

• my Votes: +5/-4
  • Isch halt...
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2005, 03:00:00 pm »
prayer costs mana when pala uses it, so it does as o-skill ;)

Offline jbtilley

• Poke This Member
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2008, 10:25:45 pm »
Oh yeah!  The Lava Maws in act V(in Niks temple and the world stone room)  need some tweeking!  They are far more powerful than anything else in the entire act! Including Baal!  As far as I can tell they have a ridiculous amount of hitpoints, although I guess it might be their resists. I've tried everything to see if they have a weakness and nothing seems to work.  They are hard to hit, and take very little damage from physical attacks.  Poison, lightning, fire, cold are all just minor annoyances to the lava maws as they kill any and all henchmen I bring along. 

The lava maws in act 1 and act 3 aren't bad, the acid they spit can be dangerous, but atleast they aren't almost impossible to kill.  Niks temple use to be my favorite place to get xp.. now If I see the dogs.. I just run through it...

A huuuuge second to this.  They're so annoyingly hard to kill (bring about 12 packs of replenishing arrows with you if you want to kill a pack) that I just run past them.