AuthorTopic: Merc for Crossbow Assassain?  (Read 2370 times)

Offline RuidTopic starter

• my Votes: +3/-1
    • Poke This Member
  • BattleTag: Ruid#1218
Merc for Crossbow Assassain?
« on: August 24, 2005, 01:15:15 pm »
Hello,

I need help please:

I have made a Crossbow Assassain, using the info posted below from Aleksa in RE: Crossbow Assassain.

I am level 26 and have some decent items, nothing to shout about, but ok for now.

Question 1:  what merc would be best for this build and why.  I am currantly using the act 1 rogue for
       her stay alive capability and the Santuary aura.

Question 2: Should I use the shadow warrior or master, seems like the master would be better since I am
       not using alot of the Assassin's skills. Or not use her at all?

Question 3:  Does blade fury help the crossbow and if so, is it wise to put points in it? I have not yet
       counted skill points to level 90, so I am not sure about how many there are to spare.

Question 4:  Any suggestions or Ideas on variants of this build would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Offline ChaosEmpire

• 1st CE Player
  • my Votes: +517/-120
  • Ich bin hier auf der Arbeit, nicht auf der Flucht
    • Poke This Member
    • My inhabitant post
  • BattleTag: ChaosEmpire#2215
  • CE-Net Account: ChaosEnergy[CE]
Re: Merc for Crossbow Assassain?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2005, 05:28:49 pm »
i assume that it will be a good idea to have a merc with an aura helping yourself, or using a ighter from act2/5 which will give a good blocker...additional to shadow...

the whole trap or blade tree could be interessting, cause you will still fight in range distance...
and have additional damage

CEmail: chaosenergy(a)chaosempire.eu
Chaos Empire® is a registered Trademark of Hans-Jürgen Ohler ©2003-2012

Offline Shinlos

• my Votes: +104/-46
  • :D
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2005, 07:47:22 pm »
Would use Shadwo Master, iot casts more Skills even though it's bit annoxing in Partyplay, but there u have a PArty that blocks.
It all returns to nothing...

Der Spruch passt besser denn je...

Offline Aleksa

• my Votes: +3/-0
  • Enter your Realm here
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2005, 10:49:10 pm »
Answer 1: I would prefer every merc which is able to block, best would be a barbarian for conv-aura for better chance to hit and -%light-resi for your light-traps if you play with them.

Answer 2: I do not use a shadow, because i do not have enough skill-points. I play with light-traps (4 Skills), Venom, X-Bow Mastery and therefore points would be only left ~level85, but than it will be hard with a low level shadow to get through. In my opinion maxing out fade for much damage-reduce is better since your merc blocks good enough and you need defense by your own. But shadow can be nice to. It is a question concerning your way to play ^_^

Answer 3: Absolutely useless ^_^ It does not affect your X-Bow.

Answer 4: Phew, i wanted to write a little english guide for the X-Bow/Trap-Assassin but she is only at level81, so i can not reflect about her abilities in chaos-difficulty. All in all my assassin would look like this:

Equipment:
Helm: Blood-Runeword
Armor: Humility-Runeword
Belt: Blood-Runeword
Gloves: TrangOul´s Gloves (Set) or tempered +2Martials Arts (helps xbow-mastery) if you need more ias when playing with fade
Boots: Imperial Boots (Set "Path of Bravery")
Rings+Amulet: Diva
Weapon: Unique pellet bow with many many many Oils ^_^, socked with Poison-Facetts or Zod-Runes
2.Slot: CTA or 2x rare +3shaodw/+xVenom-Claws with Blood-Runeword
Inventory: LOADS of Resi-Charms and with enough room shadow-skiller/trap-skiller

Skills:
30 Venom
30 Crossbow-Mastery
30 Death Sentry
30 Light Sentry
30 Combolighting-Sentry
30 Shocknet
Rest Fade

Stats:
Str: for requirments
Dex: for requirments
Vita: REST
Energy: ~50-100 for planting traps good enough (depends on equipment)

Merc:
Barbarian with a high-damage weapon, much reduce, much life and crushing blow for conviction-aura

I hope i was able to help. If you have question concerning the equipment or anything else just ask.

Sincerly,
Aleksa

Offline RuidTopic starter

• my Votes: +3/-1
    • Poke This Member
  • BattleTag: Ruid#1218
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2005, 02:18:37 am »
I want to thank Chaos and Shinlos for their advice.  I have made my choices and I really like the Improvements it has made.

I especially want to thank Aleksa for taking the time to write such a detailed guide on the status of her Hybrid Assassain.  It is extremely helpfull as it elemenates alot of the guesswork on my part.  :clap:

As Aleksa reported, this Assassain is fun to play.  The play style is not that of a bowazon or an assassain.  It has its own flavor of playstyle and with the skills available to choose from, there can be more than one variant.

I have chosen to go with lightning traps as the second tree along with Venom, to aid the Crossbow.  I now use the Act 2 combat merc (A huge improvement over the act 1 rogue), who kills very fast and has no problem staying alive.  I also am using the Shadow Master for now.  I use her like the amazon decoy, but she can actually kill and her traps and mindblast really helps. How she will work out later is unknown.  Bos is critical to keep on all the time, as this gives your bow a faster firing rate.  If you have max ias then this is not so important.

I just reached Hell(the old nightmare) at level 40, completely solo, except for some help with the last half of act 1.  Once I adjusted my playstyle to fit my new skills, I really had fun blasting my way throught the rest of the Acts.  I think I drank about 10 full rejuves, and about the same number of lifes and manas to get to Nightmare.  That is the least amount for any character I have played yet.  The leech from the crossbow really makes a huge difference in keeping you globes full.

I was worried at first about this Hybred being to weak at the starting levels, but it turns out that with a tempered, very fast crossbow, She is not so weak as I thought She would be (we all know the problems with starting some of the characters regarding killing power).  She just takes some getting used to.  As with anyting new, there is a learnig curve to go through.
                   :beta:

My equipment is nothing great. I use a tempered (physical damage) very fast repeating crossbow with some leach and ias and ed. I used the runeword lighning in it and it is quite a good starter bow.
I think at level 15 I was hitting for around 220-450 damage, obviously without venom, a level 30 skill.

I use the Psycho set (gloves, belt, boots) with cnb armor, the Starter barb helm with +1 to light runes in it.
I use the sorc ammy for the itd, and rare +1 rings with some other stats on them.  My resists are all 75 with the help of just a few charms.  What I will use in the new Hell, I dont know yet, as my resists are all at about 0 there at the moment.  At first I only used the traps for a light sorce to guide me in the dark and to pinpoint in which direction a monster might be.. I still do, only now the traps can kill and when I find a group, I cast 5 traps and shoot, rinse and repeat till dead, recasting the shadow if she dies.

This is really a fun character to play, I highly reccomend trying one. I think you will really enjoy the experience.

As with any new Character Style, there may be some kinks to be ironed out as you go.  I have already made a couple skill point mistakes and problable will make some more decesions in the future that I may regret later.  But I do this on established builds now, so not to worry, I can always start a new one and be more the wiser.

Have fun, I know that I am.
                                         :occasion18:

Offline cefears

• my Votes: +3/-5
  • Calzifer aus "Das wandelnde Schloss" - quasi ich
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2005, 10:35:55 pm »
good idea to make a crossbow char !!
i think there´s no good char with crossbow, so i hope your assa will be nice ;D
good luck
mfg fears