Catch me if you can

AuthorTopic: About skill unassignement  (Read 2820 times)

abyss

About skill unassignement
« on: May 13, 2005, 11:00:38 pm »
Why it is not included into this mod? I think it is quite useful to have it...

Offline ChaosEmpire

• 1st CE Player
  • my Votes: +517/-120
  • Ich bin hier auf der Arbeit, nicht auf der Flucht
    • Poke This Member
    • My inhabitant post
  • BattleTag: ChaosEmpire#2215
  • CE-Net Account: ChaosEnergy[CE]
Re: About skill unassignement
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2005, 03:24:28 am »
in this mod it is quite usefull to play instead of cheating yourself

CEmail: chaosenergy(a)chaosempire.eu
Chaos Empire® is a registered Trademark of Hans-Jürgen Ohler ©2003-2012

abyss

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2005, 11:28:02 pm »
I think it must be left to player to decide. Most of them who play Diablo mods are not newbies in this game and are mature enough to decide what play is fair and what is a cheating. Many players remmember that dissapointment of putting too many points into one or another skill or, for example, what happens if you have too many points for Valkyria skill (Amazon hero). That may even ruin all the fun which this game gives. Besides many mods make changes into skills. Skill unassignement lets find optimal skill configuration for you and/or your multiplayer party. That's why I like this option.

Offline Phosgen

• 1st in 1st Diablo1 Event
  • my Votes: +20/-6
    • Poke This Member
    • mein Einwohnerpost
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2005, 11:47:00 pm »
The arguments you mention may be valid for oter Mods but nor for CE.

If you just want to test some skills and their configuration you can make a testcharacter in SP by using the -act5 switch.
If you put some points into the wrong skill on the other hand there are still Elixiers of Farnham that grant you an additional skillpoint each. You see that there is no reasonable use for skill unassignement in this mod.
The only way it could be used is to cheat. Just take a fire/cold sorc that gets into an area with lots of fire and cold immunes (just an example). She could unassign all Skillpoints and become a lightning only sorc for this area. In my eyes (and for most people in this forum too) this is just plain cheating as you can avoid all difficulties which is not intended.

MfG
Phosgen
« Last Edit: May 16, 2005, 11:48:47 pm by Phosgen »

Offline bluensun

• my Votes: +0/-0
  • I like beans
    • Poke This Member
    • my inhabitant
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2005, 03:36:45 am »
what is -act 5 switch?

Offline LordFrost

• my Votes: +3/-5
  • CCC
    • Poke This Member
    • Info
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2005, 04:19:55 am »
what is -act 5 switch?

If you make Windows show you the details of your Chaos Empire shortcut, you'll see a path like this:
Code: [Select]
"C:\Games\Diablo II\Diablo II.exe"Now you go to the end of that line and add -act5 after a space.
The new shortcut would then be:
Code: [Select]
"C:\Games\Diablo II\Diablo II.exe" -act5
Now if you use that new shortcut and create a new character, she will start at level 96 and stand in Act5 Normal.
That works with Act 2, Act 3 and Act 4, too. Each with different levels. (Act 2 would be level 45 for example.)

So you can either start a character from a level other than 1, maybe if you're lazy or just curious about a level 30 skill. Or you can just start a level 96 and experiment with skillsets until you're confident that you've found one you want to use for good.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2005, 04:26:33 am by Lord-Frost »
und ja CE verstellt mutwillig bios, spannt dir die freundin aus, bringt deinen pc dazu aus dem fenster zu springen und pöbelt deinen chef an so dass er dich feuert...

dieser post könnte eventuell ironie enthalten...

Offline DrowElf

• my Votes: +75/-14
    • Poke This Member
    • DrowElfs Tools
  • CE-Net Account: drow-elf (HC-only)
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2005, 09:32:47 am »
Now if you use that new shortcut and create a new character, she will start at level 96 and stand in Act5 Normal.
That works with Act 2, Act 3 and Act 4, too. Each with different levels. (Act 2 would be level 45 for example.)

It works with act1, too. But to specify the meaning, the char stands in the act of the shortcut, but has no quests and no waypoints except the waypoint of act1 camp. This means you can not play starting the act your in, you have to play normal from beginning in act1 if you want to play with these chars.

They were only planned for testing skill assignment, not to jump over acts or something like that ;)

Offline LordFrost

• my Votes: +3/-5
  • CCC
    • Poke This Member
    • Info
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2005, 04:17:48 pm »
It works with act1, too. But to specify the meaning, the char stands in the act of the shortcut, but has no quests and no waypoints except the waypoint of act1 camp. This means you can not play starting the act your in, you have to play normal from beginning in act1 if you want to play with these chars.

They were only planned for testing skill assignment, not to jump over acts or something like that ;)

Oh really?
I must admit I haven't actually tried it, because the thought usually makes me sneer and mumble something cryptic about "Cheating myself". ^^
und ja CE verstellt mutwillig bios, spannt dir die freundin aus, bringt deinen pc dazu aus dem fenster zu springen und pöbelt deinen chef an so dass er dich feuert...

dieser post könnte eventuell ironie enthalten...