Catch me if you can

AuthorTopic: I have a complaint  (Read 1749 times)

Offline webwalkerTopic starter

• Owner of the post with highest quality
  • my Votes: +37/-8
  • The Rune after "Jah" should be "WOHL!" yes?
    • Poke This Member
    • My Inhabitant Post.
I have a complaint
« on: April 13, 2005, 03:28:18 am »

Having The Butcher and King Leoric in the catecombs of act 1 is a bug. They are sufficiently tough that surviving them is improbable.  Characters can't get high enough levels to have life sufficient to face them while still in act 1.

This would still be workable if they were in avoidable spots.  However, I've *twice* found The King in Andariel's "spot" in cat 4.  I've done all the quests in order, and see no reason to place a 1-hit-kill-trap for a character being played carefully.

Also I've found The King and The Butcher in various rooms of the Jail (twice each).  Fortuantely they were avoidable those times.

So I lost a dozen hours of building a character, not to stupidity on my part, but to a trap I couldn't avoid.

(P.S. does *anybody* have a response to my trouble where Win98 hangs upon starting CE a second time?)

Offline AoATheAvenger

• my Votes: +5/-7
    • Poke This Member
I have a complaint
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2005, 06:37:54 am »
you can easiely avoid them. open no rooms in the jail, be careful at andariel.
they are not ment to be killed with low level, they are for high level characters.
, so speaks the Lord of Terror, and so it is written.

Offline webwalkerTopic starter

• Owner of the post with highest quality
  • my Votes: +37/-8
  • The Rune after "Jah" should be "WOHL!" yes?
    • Poke This Member
    • My Inhabitant Post.
I have a complaint
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2005, 07:24:28 am »
>> you can easiely avoid them. open no rooms in the jail, be careful at andariel.

How does one "be careful" when "Andariel" turns out to be Leoric, and you find out by his Bone Spirit killing you?

Clawyer

I have a complaint
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2005, 07:51:22 am »
I don't know what character you were playing, but any Character with Minions should let them go first when it comes to finding out. Otherwise... A Sorceress might have her problems to get away, but all ohers should be able to take one or two Bone-Spirits before dying. At least in HC...
Just be prepared to run away hastily and keep some Regeneration potions at hand.

Eldarim

I have a complaint
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2005, 07:54:11 am »

just be carefull. andariel and leoric are randomly switching their places. if u want to survive first make sure u are not facing leoric, make a ranged attack (bow, throwing weapons or what ever) and look what u get in return...  a couple of arrows coming back, means that leoric with his fanatism archers are in front of you

greetz
eldarim

Offline Mr Bean

• Urgestein des Chaos
  • my Votes: +40/-5
    • Poke This Member
I have a complaint
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2005, 09:52:35 am »
move > Int. Support

MfG Bean

Offline ChaosEmpire

• 1st CE Player
  • my Votes: +517/-120
  • Ich bin hier auf der Arbeit, nicht auf der Flucht
    • Poke This Member
    • My inhabitant post
  • BattleTag: ChaosEmpire#2215
  • CE-Net Account: ChaosEnergy[CE]
I have a complaint
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2005, 10:03:42 am »
it is as designed :P

HardCore means, that you have had one round in softcore before..

i expect every HC player that (s)he did a softcore CE before..

CEmail: chaosenergy(a)chaosempire.eu
Chaos Empire® is a registered Trademark of Hans-Jürgen Ohler ©2003-2012

Offline Gogun2005

• my Votes: +1/-0
    • Poke This Member
I have a complaint
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2005, 09:50:35 pm »
Even in softcore, it think there should at least be some warning in the readme or, better, in the game. Those mysterious scrolls could have been used to give these kind of hints...It IS a surprise and an unpleasant one to get killed even when you are carefull...

But CE is enough fun that I get over it after a few tries to get my body back...once the cat is out of the box...

Offline seibzahn

• my Votes: +0/-0
    • Poke This Member
    • http://ce.grimms.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=4103
I have a complaint
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2005, 05:36:25 am »
I think the leoric complaint is fairly valid, since getting close enough to confirm whether it's him or Andariel usually means getting killed by a barrage of arrows from his horror archers or a bone spirit. It's not a big deal for druids, necromancers or assassins, but most other chars can't conjure up minions to 'test' the room.
The butcher, of course, is easy to avoid, as are the other 'overpowered' mini bosses like damien and chimera, but leoric can be very risky.

vycka

I have a complaint
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2005, 08:06:09 am »
Huh I have never met leoric in andies place. I only met him in jail lvl2(i think it was lvl2). Have found butcher in lvl4 catacombs and even found Diablos clone in catas lvl4(i think it wasnt 7.55). So yeah long live Odgen potions! :thumbup: