Catch me if you can

AuthorTopic: Feedback, questions, bugs  (Read 6193 times)

Offline jbtilleyTopic starter

• my Votes: +0/-0
    • Poke This Member
Feedback, questions, bugs
« on: December 13, 2004, 03:05:39 pm »
I just downloaded this mod last week and it is by far the best mod to date.  It seems to incorporate all the good things from other mods I have played.

The excellent:
The stash paging system
The ability to fully equip mercs

The bad:
10 scrolls per tome
12 keys per stack
You can't buy scrolls/tomes of identity/town portal - this makes for a very difficult beginning of the game
The stash should always be in town
The single player map dissapears when you save and exit.  This has been brought up before, but standard LOD maps only dissapear when you create/log onto a realm game.  Single player maps always remained the same.

The bugs:
When partied up with someone I can't go into a town portal they create.  I can only use ones I create.  Was this intentional?  It is kind of frustrating because usually one person creates the town portal and all party members are able to use it.  I have spent a lot of time walking back from a waypoint with a bodyguard because I couldn't go through a TP they created near my body.

Questions:
What are torches good for?  I didn't understand their use in the Cube Recipie section.
What are dolls? (toys) good for (the things inside the eggs)?  So far they have been pretty cool to collect, but is there something else to them?
What are herbs good for?

Side note:
Are you even supposed to bea able to beat all the Butchers at the end of Act I?  I think I'll have to go back when I'm level 100 or so to even have a chance.  There is another boss Leoric? from the first Diablo which is also hard to approach (one hit instant kill).

Edit:
I almost forgot - I could not find the waypoint in Tristram even though it is in the list of waypoints.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2004, 03:16:22 pm by jbtilley »

Celial

« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2004, 03:20:18 pm »
Questions:
What are torches good for?  I didn't understand their use in the Cube Recipie section.

they increase your magicfind and your light radius

What are dolls? (toys) good for (the things inside the eggs)?  So far they have been pretty cool to collect, but is there something else to them?

they are used for some cube reciepes and you can put them into a doll stash for extra skills etc

What are herbs good for?

you run like an idiot^^

Side note:
Are you even supposed to bea able to beat all the Butchers at the end of Act I?  I think I'll have to go back when I'm level 100 or so to even have a chance.  There is another boss Leoric? from the first Diablo which is also hard to approach (one hit instant kill).

i killed butcher with lvl30 and two other guys, both lvl30

Edit: look after something that looks like a cross
the answers are in the quote
« Last Edit: December 13, 2004, 03:21:28 pm by Celial »

Clawyer

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2004, 03:28:39 pm »
Only 10 scrolls per Tome only makes it hardert to rush characters. This is intended.

You can enter other people's TPs. You just can't be rushed without making most of the Quests. For example you have to do the Den of Evil and Blood Raven before you can enter a portal to Tristram. Make sure you complete every quest (Exception: Charsi and Nilhatak Quest, you don't have to imbue or personalize anything in order to enter a portal).
The Tristram Waypoint is well hidden, but it is marked by an X on the map. Don't search for letters though, you have to be somewhat creative in order to recognize the X ;)

You don't have to walk very far in order to get to your stash. You just have to find it.

Butcher and Leoric should not be approached unless in a party of more than 2 level 20+ characters or very well equipped. Both don't have to be visited though, so just go on without attacking them if you don't feel strong enough.

Reading the Readme (guess why it is called like that...) helps you finding out, what the new consumables do. Looking at your Teddy helps, too.
There are a few recipes with the dolls, but the most important thing you can do with them is putting them into your Doll Stash (it's a 2*3 Charm). So try to get one soon ;)

• Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2004, 03:49:43 pm »
Thanks for the quick replies.

How do you use the torches?  Just keep them in your inventory I assume.  I did, but I didn't notice the +1 to light radius.  Go figure.

Where/how do I get the doll stash?  The readme (I do read it) says:

1 doll stash -> HellForge Hammer + Black Key + Wirts Leg or alternative 3 special items you already can own in act 1

Is Wirts leg a substitute for "three special items you can own in act 1" or are the three items a substitute for the Hammer/Key/Leg?  I have yet to find a Black Key.  I assume the three special items are the three you get from the large stone when you start out.

How do you use the herbs?  oils?

I have also noticed that each item has a level.  Is that information useful?  Lvl 1 arrows compared to lvl 12 arrows for example.

I saw a picture of the teddy on the main page - my teddy doesn't give all the info that the teddy in the picture gives (running 7.49e).  I'm not refering to the +1 to all skills, but some of the other stats.  Now that I look at it, it looks as if certain stats become available as they are aquired (mana regen for example).

So what you are saying is that I can't use a town portal with someone until I complete the quest that is normally completed at that area?  So now that I am in act 2 all act 1 portals will be shared?

Again thanks fo r all the input.  Sorry for all the questions - I'm trying to figure everything there is to know about it, I may have more as they come to me.  Maybe I could help in writing a good FAQ/readme in english.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2004, 04:12:54 pm by jbtilley »

Offline Landliebe

• my Votes: +1/-1
  • Das war aber um 3:00 Uhr Morgens
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2004, 04:10:22 pm »
How do you use the torches?  Just keep them in your inventory I assume.  I did, but I didn't notice the +1 to light radius.  Go figure.
---> right mouse click
Where/how do I get the doll stash?  The readme (I do read it) says:
---> 4.49 Act 3 from the wanderer

1 doll stash -> HellForge Hammer + Black Key + Wirts Leg or alternative 3 special items you already can own in act 1

Is Wirts leg a substitute for "three special items you can own in act 1" or are the three items a substitute for the Hammer/Key/Leg?  I have yet to find a Black Key.  I assume the three special items are the three you get from the large stone when you start out.

How do you use the herbs?  oils?
---> again right mouse click

So what you are saying is that I can't use a town portal with someone until I complete the quest that is normally completed at that area?  So now that I am in act 2 all act 1 portals will be shared?
---> no you have to complet the quests

answer behind the arrows

landliebe

• Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2004, 04:14:47 pm »
cool!  Thanks again for the info.  I never messed with the oils because I wwanted to wait and use them all on a better weaopn than the ones you get in normal difficulty.

Offline ChaosEmpire

• 1st CE Player
  • my Votes: +517/-120
  • Ich bin hier auf der Arbeit, nicht auf der Flucht
    • Poke This Member
    • My inhabitant post
  • BattleTag: ChaosEmpire#2215
  • CE-Net Account: ChaosEnergy[CE]
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2004, 04:46:15 pm »
Many stats from teddy display have been removedjcause you can reach them now from char display second page

CEmail: chaosenergy(a)chaosempire.eu
Chaos Empire® is a registered Trademark of Hans-Jürgen Ohler ©2003-2012

• Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2004, 05:24:14 pm »
Holy cow! That's great, I didn't even notice the second character page until you mentioned it.

Man, what a great mod.

Last question for the day.  I haven't got a doll stash yet but is there a way to add/remove dolls?

I want to avoid the following case:

Let's say there is a 10 doll maximum for a doll stash.  I have 20 dolls.  I want to maximize the bonuses I get from the dolls so I want to chose which ones go in the stash very carefully.  Not having a list of what doll creates what effect I am left to trial and error.  If I drop in a mosquito nest and get added stamina (or whatever) I want to be able to take it out and replace it with something that adds to damage/resistances/something more usefull.

That should be the end of the questions for now.  Again, thanks for all the help!  I wan't expecting an answer to these questions for weeks (like the response time for other mods).

Offline Cybermage

• Benjamin
    • Poke This Member
    • http://www.hirnstrudel.de/
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2004, 05:28:35 pm »
afaik there is no limit for dolls in the stash and so there is no way to remove them.
Stirb Signatur!! STIRB!!!

• Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2004, 05:33:37 pm »
Oh, I read this in the readme:

Doll stash (if character gets Fade-Look, stash is full, dolls won`t add effect after this)

I guess it is not full in the sense that you can still add stuff to it, but it is "full" in the sense that you can't get any more bonuses by adding things.

That puts me right back to where I was before.  Is there a list of which dolls add which bonuses?  I would hate to add a +10% to stamina bonus when I could be adding +10% maxlife.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2004, 05:34:32 pm by jbtilley »

Offline Olfmo

• HammAdmin
  • my Votes: +182/-92
    • Poke This Member
    • My Inhabitant Thread
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2004, 05:37:54 pm »
there is a limit where you cant put any more dolls in the stash but its very high, over 5000 we assume, so there wont be any problem, nobody has ever reached that except perhaps chaos himself :)

there is no list of bonuses, we got a 16 pages german thread where we talk about the system but we havent found out (yet^^) and chaos wont tell us -.-

so just put every doll except for act bosses, blood raven, cold wurm, moderator, ghost and suicide minion in the stash and you will see when you get skills, it variies with every stash

Offline Phosgen

• 1st in 1st Diablo1 Event
  • my Votes: +20/-6
    • Poke This Member
    • mein Einwohnerpost
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2004, 06:01:06 pm »
there is no list of bonuses, we got a 16 pages german thread where we talk about the system but we havent found out (yet^^) and chaos wont tell us -.-

Well actually we found out some minor facts and some general trends (dont be so shy Olfmo).
Stats that appear on almost every stash at the same point:
3 dolls : +1 find elixier
111 dolls : +psn dam
trends:
+2 find elixier is definately under 100
+1 LR and +1 AD often appear around 120 and higher

next skills you will most likely get after these:
valk, slow missiles

MfG
Phosgen

• Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2004, 06:36:48 pm »
Oh, I get it.  It isn't so much which kind of doll you add to the stash so much as it is the number you add.

ie the first doll adds +10% stamina
the second adds +1 dex

Irreguardless of which doll you drop in.

Thanks for such quick responses.  What a great community.  Wish I spoke German.

Celial

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2004, 06:38:29 pm »
and the limit of dolls is around 1xxx dolls, but no one knows exactly!
chaos said a time ago that his doll stash is full, and that he has around 1xxx dolls inserted  :s663: 

Offline Olfmo

• HammAdmin
  • my Votes: +182/-92
    • Poke This Member
    • My Inhabitant Thread
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2004, 06:46:34 pm »
Oh, I get it.  It isn't so much which kind of doll you add to the stash so much as it is the number you add.

ie the first doll adds +10% stamina
the second adds +1 dex

Irreguardless of which doll you drop in.

Thanks for such quick responses.  What a great community.  Wish I spoke German.
perhaps chaos changed it on the new stashes... because older ones had 10 poison dmg from beginning, the really old ones had nothing and got nothing till third toy (not every time, but most) +1 find potion...

@celial: somebody told in a thread that he had ~3k dolls inserted but i dont know if that was just fake or if he used duped toys... but even if he used duped toys... i think the limit is much higher...