Catch me if you can

AuthorTopic: 7.66 Install Problem  (Read 7911 times)

Offline webwalker

• Owner of the post with highest quality
  • my Votes: +37/-8
  • The Rune after "Jah" should be "WOHL!" yes?
    • Poke This Member
    • My Inhabitant Post.
Re: 7.66 Install Problem
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2006, 05:14:40 am »
Can you build a bootable CD?  Memtest should work from that.
I dual-boot win98se and linux (RHEL 3.4), and one of the grub entry tables is memtest.

If you can't get a clean-boot of memtest, go the the prime95 site and download the "big prime number hunter".  It's a small package, and included a torture test that runs the numeric algorithm against know results.  This is a good way to determine if you're over-over-clocked.

Offline Soulisick

• my Votes: +0/-0
  • Enter your Realm here
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2006, 05:51:54 am »
This is where I should point out that I have the computer IQ of a retarded goldfish....That whole over clocked thing is a term I read about and never get..kinda like girls at this point. So yeah..What does all that stuff you just said mean? I am asking because if I run it and get the info back...chances are I won't be able to do anything with it sence it will look about like that german stuff I got earlier..lol.

Offline webwalker

• Poke This Member
    • My Inhabitant Post.
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2006, 12:12:07 am »
This is where I should point out that I have the computer IQ of a retarded goldfish....That whole over clocked thing is a term I read about and never get..kinda like girls at this point. So yeah..What does all that stuff you just said mean? I am asking because if I run it and get the info back...chances are I won't be able to do anything with it sence it will look about like that german stuff I got earlier..lol.

OK, that was my best laugh for the day!  Thanks!  (I have retarded goldfish, btw, and a *really* retarded frog!)

You have enough RAM (2GB).
You have enough processor (P4 2.8GHz).
I will presume that the local goldfish have not overclocked your system... so this opens up some unplesant guesses: virus, defective hardware, corrupted download.

For the virus question, TrendMicro has a download HouseCall virus scanner, there may be better but I don't know them (I'm not computer-ignorant, but my goldfish know XP as well as I do, since I'm a Win98SE user).  Please, XP-competent folk, chime in with what virus scanners can do a good check on an XP system.

For the defective hardware question, can you play other games fine?  D2LOD on battle-net?  UnrealTournament? Quake? DoomIII?  Also: try to download http://mersenne.org/gimps/p95v2414.exe and run it as a torture test (that's one of its options). Can your CD write (CD-R or CD-RW) or is it read-only?  Can you make a bootable CD?

You may someday understand computers, but girls will remain strange forever.  Deal with it, that's just how they are.

Offline Soulisick

• Enter your Realm here
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2006, 03:00:31 am »
Ok..I used my McAfee virus scanner..nothing found...I ran the torture test for 7 hours straight and it found no errors...and I can run all other games fine. Right before I DLed the CE mod I was running another LOD MOD that worked fine..I reinstalled Diablo and all...and as far as I can tell all my hardware works fine. So that leaves a bad download...but how can I get all the downloads as bad ones...and for differant site...Any input at this point would be nice..lol. Thanks.

Offline GreenieLeBrun

• Enter your Realm here
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2006, 03:02:11 am »
Have a look at:-
Ultimate Boot CD for Windows
http://www.ubcd4win.com/

If I remember correctly this has memory testing utilities

Offline webwalker

• Poke This Member
    • My Inhabitant Post.
« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2006, 04:10:49 pm »
Unfortunately, the Downloads page does not list checksums of any kind so verifying the integrity of the 7.66 or 7.66SP1 download is problematic at this point.
I accept from your test results that the hardware and system are fine.
I guess I'm stumped too...  not even my goldfish has any ideas.

NOTE that all loaders and helper programs that alter the D2LOD files will crash the install.  CE must be installed on a *pristine* D2LOD file set.

Offline Soulisick

• Enter your Realm here
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2006, 11:35:39 pm »
Ok...I tried DLing an older version..I think its was 7.55..it gave me the same error. I have asked my dog...cat..all 12 horses we own..2 cows...24 chickens...one bird passing by..and even called a friend in West Texas who put the all knowing Groundhog on the phone...seems they are all stumped. I even resorted to the last prayer of asking my Girlfriend...when she doesn't know whats wrong its bad, cause she knows everything...at least thats what she beats into my head. I am going to try to remove anything that has to do with Dibalo off my comp and reinstall it. If that doesn't work I will just cry, get a bottle of Jack, break out old photos of my EQ Mage and think of the good ole' days....*sigh*....if ANYONE has ANY ideas on this please send me an e-mail. I am sure this will be the last time I look at this post if this fails. Wish me luck and please send any ideas to soulisick@yahoo.com...thanks for all the help guys.