Catch me if you can

AuthorTopic: 7.66 SP1 Movement Speed...  (Read 2694 times)

Offline DarkkatgirlTopic starter

• my Votes: +0/-0
    • Poke This Member
    • Inhabitant Info
7.66 SP1 Movement Speed...
« on: April 19, 2006, 03:38:13 am »
Does anyone like this?

I don't.  I play HC exclusive now and now its too hard to survive.  I can't even fight bosses now.... I'll give you an example.  Fighting diablo when he uses his lighting inferno that covers an entire screen, you cannot out run it now.  If i didnt gulp down 5 full rejuvs and exit game i would be making a new HC char right now....  (I had full resists and fire absorb when I fought him btw)

All the monsters seem to be the same speed.... slightly unfair.  Now if you wanted to do that in later difficulties, making the monsters faster or gradually faster, sure that would be fine but in PoC and HC no less its death.

Guess ill have to try to fill 60 percent of my inventory with +walk/run charms to counter act this and survive.

How are starting HC players supposed to out run the already overly powered Horks or high IAS archers in the Church?  SC suffers but not as bad as the HC side of the CCC who literally cant survive or play now if they want to live.   

I feel sorry for sp chars -_-'
« Last Edit: April 19, 2006, 03:44:09 am by Darkkatgirl »
無秩序帝国r 。I.p. 4 月19 日、 2006 年

Fingerpicker

Re: 7.66 SP1 Movement Speed...
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2006, 09:03:17 am »
I just tryed this with my barb and it looks like i have switched to walk :)   (200 fr)
Shure, he has heavy equipment because i m playing hc only.  (heavy eqip forces runmalus=a ce feature)
I dont think that id like to play my barb again.
I ll try this with my second char, a Bowzone....maybe
I dont wanna think about what happens if barb meets some extra fast PI conz ghosts....or something like that.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2006, 09:05:02 am by Fingerpicker »

Offline Cubtz

• Poke This Member
    • http://ce.grimms.org/forum/index.php?act=ST&f=19&t=3908
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2006, 11:25:39 am »
I agree with you guys I don't see any advantages to this lower speed.  My HC psi-assassin was torn apart by an extra fast hork spawn lol thank goodness she was only level 12.  Anyways I'll wait for more posts before I jump to conclusions because I have no idea why the speed was changed.  All the info I found was this "Lowered base run speed of all characters (Animations look currently not sync)." Maybe someone will be able to post the benefits of the speed reduction and change my mind ;)

Kano

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2006, 12:36:15 pm »
This is solely based on the fact that Chaos started a new char one day, and with starter equipment he saw the char was "too fast".

No offense, but I think what was totally forgotten to be taken into consideration: CGS is totally unsurvivable without heavy equipment. Heavy equipment = big run malus = the chars are crawling around in CGS.

So the speed decision should have not been done without seeing the speed of a char which is equipped to be able to live in hell for a couple minutes.

Offline knoetel

• my Votes: +1/-1
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2006, 03:06:31 pm »
i really dont like that new "feature" ... just tried my amazon again .. it is really like walking ..

i could support that in sc, because kill and movement speed is really high wenn u get to the lvl 90s, but in hc it has to mean your death!
just think of walking into the inner kloister .. now chance against bow skelettons...

a friend of mine just tried his pala .. he is WAY to slow for a close range melee char .. he will have basically now chance to survive in such situations!

ill stay with 7.66 for a couple of days cause i want my amazon to life ...
i really hope that feature could somehow be changed?!?

knoetel

Offline mastermike

• Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2006, 03:40:21 pm »
Well ... I've spoken to many guys in game now and can really tell that NO ONE likes that feature. I think that's a bad way to balancing chars, it furthermore makes playing the game especially in LR and CGS impossible. So i cant play my necromancer (160% frw) anymore, he has lightweight equipment and still cant run away from those fireenchanted skell-archers ...

I hope that there will be a solution soon, this features doesn't increase the fun-factor playing CE.

Greetz, Mike

Kano

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2006, 03:42:06 pm »
Yeah, I just made a Test char assa. I made her Ranged (cast) + melee to test both alternatives.

I couldn't even get to Stony field as melee. Even if I had, I'd be 101% dead if I saw one of the Fire-spitters.

Guess it's our fault, 'cause we didn't test the new running speed (Chaos left it on server 4 for us to test, but nobody wrote anything). Now we have to wait for SP2.

My new suggestion, which will take care of the "super fast running around" without being a major disadvantage for melee chars and HC chars:

- Keep the running speed as before, BUT decrease stamina exponentially. So, the longer you run, the faster the stamina goes down (e.g. -1,-2,-4,-8,-16,-32,-64,-128). People will be forced to run and stop and run, but the melee chars and the HC chars still have the fair chance of running away from bad situation or running into the crowd to fight.

Offline knoetel

• my Votes: +1/-1
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2006, 03:56:27 pm »
@kano

that really is a good idea!

i think that if its possible it somehow reaches the effect joe wanted to have with that feature! u cannot "rush" or run for a long time... i think that would be ok to life with .. so that if u really HAVE to run , you can ... but its not a necessity to run all the time .. that would somehow stop the speeding...

i guess you could suggest that idea

• Poke This Member
    • Inhabitant Info
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2006, 04:43:50 pm »
@ Kano

When was this tested on the servers and with whom?

Also I think there should be a small group of people who discuss and test CE's patches before they go public as to prevent bad ideas from ruining the game.

The new movement speed has made the game unplayable for HC. 

There will always be characters who are faster than others, mostly due to equipment but some carry light gear with lots of run/walk charms or some just use +speed abilities like barb, assassin or druid.

My question is why is CE so afraid of fast characters.  Yes preventing RUSHING (ie skipping acts due to exploits) should be stopped but not preventing characters from moving fast and surviving.

Offline DrowElf

• my Votes: +75/-14
    • Poke This Member
    • DrowElfs Tools
  • CE-Net Account: drow-elf (HC-only)
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2006, 05:07:32 pm »
The test on the server was on server 4 and to your question with whom, all players that played on this server after implementing this testversion.

The testversion was running there since the 16.04., three days without any feedback. No one has mentioned speedproblems are something like this.

I think this is the reason why the version was released.

Why there was no feedback is unknown to me.

• Poke This Member
    • Inhabitant Info
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2006, 05:14:55 pm »
Instead of putting it on a server and pray someone responds, why not pick 3-7 people who post or REPLY all the time on the forums (token holders would be gold for this as they are already trusted by Chaos and all seem very active on the forum) and CE can send them the mod files for patch and they can test it in sp or he can set up a "test" server for those people to test the changes and discuss the pros/cons before final release since they WILL give feedback.

Offline DrowElf

• my Votes: +75/-14
    • Poke This Member
    • DrowElfs Tools
  • CE-Net Account: drow-elf (HC-only)
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2006, 05:22:11 pm »
It was not only put and pray.

This version was announced for all donaters and ask for feedback, too.

Offline ChaosEmpire

• 1st CE Player
  • my Votes: +517/-120
  • Ich bin hier auf der Arbeit, nicht auf der Flucht
    • Poke This Member
    • My inhabitant post
  • BattleTag: ChaosEmpire#2215
  • CE-Net Account: ChaosEnergy[CE]
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2006, 05:32:28 pm »
http://chaosempire.info/web/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,56/topic,12160.msg174438/topicseen,topicseen#new
Postet at: April 19, 2006, 05:23:04 pm
btw

its nice to read, that my whole modding is based on facts of startup char, without regression testing

btw
some of my test char are HC based..and btw...I play all three diffs...

but...for the moment, i m angry, so there wont be asolution today

last, increasing stamina in steps isnt possible, the only chance wqould be decrease of the stamina amount
a
and then also everybody will scream, cause you need to drink senseless potions..no one uses now..but is angry about on startup :P

CEmail: chaosenergy(a)chaosempire.eu
Chaos Empire® is a registered Trademark of Hans-Jürgen Ohler ©2003-2012