AuthorTopic: Connect Lost Problem  (Read 1913 times)

Offline NamtarTopic starter

• my Votes: +0/-0
    • Poke This Member
Connect Lost Problem
« on: February 09, 2006, 08:36:29 pm »
Heya again,

I feel bad to ask for help so soon after I needed it but here's the thing I'm trying to play CE with a friend who's been playing for a long time.

We're trying TCP/IP and Open B.net games which work but every time either of us exits the game it gives a connection lost message. Not a big deal in itself ... but we lose quests, lvls and items every time (the most recent of them) which is lets say it a pain in the ass (we need to refind the seals every time and rekill diablo).

Now I tried regular LoD and it seems to be working fine, we're both using v1.11 with the latest version of CE. Any ideas ?

Nam

Offline webwalker

• Owner of the post with highest quality
  • my Votes: +37/-8
  • The Rune after "Jah" should be "WOHL!" yes?
    • Poke This Member
    • My Inhabitant Post.
Re: Connect Lost Problem
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2006, 11:46:18 pm »
OK!  I know this one!  I had it happen to me and confirmed with Chaos what the problem was in my (and others) cases
There is a hard-coded limit in D2 that a character file is limited to just under 8KB.  Every attribute on EVERY item adds to how much is stored.  1x1 rare/unique charms, rings, jewels, (especially tempered) can add up quickly.  Rare items with rune words in them can be quite large (look at the attribute list).  Your Merc's stuff is also saved in your characters' file.

So: Mule everything off until you have an empty stash and cube, and try again.

One aspect of Open B.Net (at least in D2/LOD in Blizzard-land) is hacked items.  These tend to have MORE attributes, not just larger values, which means the save-size for the character file increases more rapidly.

Offline NamtarTopic starter

• my Votes: +0/-0
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2006, 04:48:23 am »
Ahhh,

Thanks I'll try that out. When I started my friend gave me his stash file so I could get started. Obviously he has like thousands of items (260 pages if i recall correctly) so it might explain that >_<

Roughly how many pages of stash would be the limit ?

Nam

Offline webwalker

• Owner of the post with highest quality
  • my Votes: +37/-8
  • The Rune after "Jah" should be "WOHL!" yes?
    • Poke This Member
    • My Inhabitant Post.
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2006, 07:13:34 am »
When your character saves to disk, what's counted as "your size" is your characters equipemnt, inventory, cube, and *personal* stash, plus your merc's equipment (and your Iron Golem seed, if any).

If all stash stuff is in the shared stash only... you shouldn't be hitting the problem you describe... but I've never loaded up a personal stash to 260 pages....  However the only affect should be a slo load time.

Many things can be gambled, or replaced with better items, so I don't think I've had more than a few dozen pages at most.

Unfortunately, for me helping you, I play almost strictly online, so there's only 1 page of stash.

Post # 666, and I'm having a devil of a time figuring out exactly what's crippling you.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2006, 07:15:12 am by webwalker »