AuthorTopic: Trouble with chilling armor after new catalysts  (Read 2315 times)

Offline NarfGargTopic starter

• my Votes: +0/-0
  • sp
    • Poke This Member
Trouble with chilling armor after new catalysts
« on: November 12, 2005, 06:02:13 pm »
I have a nice little armor that has a 20% chance to cast level 15 chilling armor. Once that is cast it will shoot an ice bolt at an attacking enemy. Now I cant remember what it was like before since I just made the armor but today after I had installed new catalysts (5.11) there was trouble.

Every time theres more than say maybe 10 archers shooting me my character and the enemies will disappear. Now this was no problem and I made it to level 11 of the dungeon just fine. But then I met a frozen horror or something that has the ice breath. My guess is that now my guy is constantly trying to shoot him with an ice bolt. This made the game unplayable and I had to quit. It took me 1 minute to even get the save and exit screen to show up.

The other monsters that have a constant stream of magic shooting at me do not present the same kind of problem.

Any thoughts other than rolling back to older cats, which I'm not that inclined to do. If I remember correctly the new cats introduced a "fix" for opengl. Not sure if d2 uses that though.

Offline Olfmo

• HammAdmin
  • my Votes: +182/-92
    • Poke This Member
    • My Inhabitant Thread
Re: Trouble with chilling armor after new catalysts
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2005, 06:11:33 pm »
we had a similar thread in german just some time ago

it is a very old problem, because the arctic wind thingy the frozen beasts use makes damage per frame the armor will shoot a bolt every frame and with more than one of these on the screen you have serious performance problems

anyway the only way to avoid that is to use another armor while playing in these areas

Offline webwalker

• Owner of the post with highest quality
  • my Votes: +37/-8
  • The Rune after "Jah" should be "WOHL!" yes?
    • Poke This Member
    • My Inhabitant Post.
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2005, 06:38:33 pm »
An alternative suggestion: faster processor, more RAM, and a faster video card.  How much this will reduce the problem, I don't know.

Want serious lag? Get two druids, each with this armor, to hostile each other and breathe Arctic Blast at each other.  The ice shards of the armor on each will trigger retaliatory ice shards from the other, and the breath will trigger new ones which will trigger retaliatory ones. 

I've seen screen-shots where 3 sorceresses did this... casting ice bolts and letting the chilling armor propagate them in perpetuity.

Have good cold resists... and cold absorb... and do it in soft-core.

What do you mean by
after I had installed new catalysts (5.11) there was trouble.
?  Catalysts? 5.11?

Offline NarfGargTopic starter

• my Votes: +0/-0
  • sp
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2005, 08:06:33 pm »
An alternative suggestion: faster processor, more RAM, and a faster video card. How much this will reduce the problem, I don't know.

Want serious lag? Get two druids, each with this armor, to hostile each other and breathe Arctic Blast at each other. The ice shards of the armor on each will trigger retaliatory ice shards from the other, and the breath will trigger new ones which will trigger retaliatory ones.

I've seen screen-shots where 3 sorceresses did this... casting ice bolts and letting the chilling armor propagate them in perpetuity.

What do you mean by
? Catalysts? 5.11?

Drivers for ati video cards. Newest ones are 5.11. And I dont think getting a better comp will help since mine is 2 Ghz, 1 gig of ram and radeon x800xl. Meh I'll just grab a different armor next time I go meet one of those monsters.

Offline webwalker

• Owner of the post with highest quality
  • my Votes: +37/-8
  • The Rune after "Jah" should be "WOHL!" yes?
    • Poke This Member
    • My Inhabitant Post.
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2005, 02:48:21 am »
An alternative suggestion: faster processor, more RAM, and a faster video card. How much this will reduce the problem, I don't know.

Want serious lag? Get two druids, each with this armor, to hostile each other and breathe Arctic Blast at each other. The ice shards of the armor on each will trigger retaliatory ice shards from the other, and the breath will trigger new ones which will trigger retaliatory ones.

What do you mean by
? Catalysts? 5.11?

Drivers for ati video cards. Newest ones are 5.11. And I dont think getting a better comp will help since mine is 2 Ghz, 1 gig of ram and radeon x800xl. Meh I'll just grab a different armor next time I go meet one of those monsters.

Hmmm 2GHz CPU... 1GB RAM... fire-breathing Radeon... No, I agree, improving the hardware is not likely to help.  So, yes, using a different armor would be the wiser route.