AuthorTopic: The tavern of Geglash  (Read 59537 times)

Offline ScoobyD

• Depp vom Dienst
  • my Votes: +84/-6
  • Einfach nicht beachten.
    • Poke This Member
  • CE-Net Account: ScoobyD
Re: The tavern of Geglash
« Reply #330 on: November 05, 2013, 05:26:11 pm »
its not free joe

with ultimate you buy a xp license too

all other have no license for the image from microsoft
Mein Hobby: MSC Ober-Mörlen

Offline ChaosEmpireTopic starter

• 1st CE Player
  • my Votes: +517/-120
  • Ich bin hier auf der Arbeit, nicht auf der Flucht
    • Poke This Member
    • My inhabitant post
  • BattleTag: ChaosEmpire#2215
  • CE-Net Account: ChaosEnergy[CE]
« Reply #331 on: November 05, 2013, 10:45:17 pm »
only ultimate, not already pro?
anyway i can upload it, if needed

CEmail: chaosenergy(a)chaosempire.eu
Chaos Empire® is a registered Trademark of Hans-Jürgen Ohler ©2003-2012

Offline ScoobyD

• Depp vom Dienst
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #332 on: November 06, 2013, 09:25:08 am »
XP Mode inc in Win7 Profesional, Ultimate, Enterprise.

You can download it at microsoft, so for what?

• 1st CE Player
    • Poke This Member
    • My inhabitant post
« Reply #333 on: November 07, 2013, 12:18:52 pm »
for w7 home :P

Offline bdpf

• Old Gummy. i'm slower now. Stories can be told.
  • my Votes: +6/-0
  • Donated. Did you? (:^:) Need more coin, thou :(
    • Poke This Member
  • CE-Net Account: bdpf
« Reply #334 on: November 08, 2013, 06:38:19 pm »
 :welcome: Hi Guys!

Been running CE single play with Windows 7 Home Premium just fine after hitting it with large hammer!
Using virtual CD drive to load / run CE, no Cd required!

Joe the new box is nice, 4.2 mhz AMD cpu, 16 geg ram, 2 AMD Xcrossfire vidio cards, have to use just one for CE. Had to empty a piggy bank to get it but I do like it. Also put 12.04 Ubuntu, Linux on it. Have to brag a little.

Had to get some files from an old install of CE (That is the Hammer)! The 774 setup program messed up everything! I can not use my old characters that took along time to grow up big and strong. (GRIN)

Well Joe, will I be able to play on-line like this, once PayPal lets me send donation?

Will A Microsoft XP windows image be needed?
I hope not! Never liked Windows, DOS was better once you got the drivers set up..........But then I would be hacked, infected for sure!

I still have a problem with Windows client service not running, can't add new users!
Need to set up a live chat, I guess with Windows help, That will be frustrating!

@joe
Yes it is not a new story! I thought you closed the Tavern.  :cray:
I see it is open again with a pin holding it down! Hate this new smaller Microsoft keyboard, too small for big clumsy hands. It would help if I could remember how to spell.

Just thought I would let you know that I'm still alive and bashing monsters, all most full time! Darn, need to do some chores, now.
bye
bdpf, the Old Gummy
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 06:47:27 pm by bdpf »
.\\||||||//.
:) +  + ;)   Don't Bite now, Lost my teeth
      /\         So now I tell rambling stories!
  / === \      Grumpy, I is
 ! /|||||\ !      Older than dirt, Piped God
 /||||||||\  aboard this here Sky boat called Earth.
          Roll my own cigarettes, strong tobacco
        Drink anything that don't kill me.
   Cleaned my musket, sharpened the blades
Long Bow is strong,  arrows heads sharp, start running
Wannabe wordsmith, stories fabricated.
Don't call me late for lunch

Offline ScoobyD

• Depp vom Dienst
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #335 on: November 08, 2013, 09:03:49 pm »
Had to get some files from an old install of CE (That is the Hammer)! The 774 setup program messed up everything! I can not use my old characters that took along time to grow up big and strong. (GRIN)

put off the teddy and cascets for body parts / gems and you can play them on 774

Offline bdpf

• Poke This Member
« Reply #336 on: November 09, 2013, 05:35:24 am »
Did all that, most were real old characters from before 7.73.

They were old friends of many years bashing monsters. :cray: I have been stuck playing single play for years, old old comp, lack of coin and PayPal still stops me from making donation. Old story that haunts me.  :suicide:

bye
bdpf, Old Gummy  :wece:
.\\||||||//.

Offline ScoobyD

• Depp vom Dienst
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #337 on: November 09, 2013, 05:00:01 pm »
dollstash?

• 1st CE Player
    • Poke This Member
    • My inhabitant post
« Reply #338 on: November 11, 2013, 09:58:35 am »
yes biggest changes to 774 have been casket, and stashes..
and with 774 you can always come online and play

Offline bdpf

• Poke This Member
« Reply #339 on: November 11, 2014, 04:35:20 pm »
 :welcome:

An old man with a slight limp, heads down the narrow lane to the Tavern Geglash. He is mumbling about dusty old servers. His otherself, firmly tells him to shut up, about the servers, we need to get a few drinks at the tavern. "Get out of my mind then." "Keep walking!"

The tavern door, creaks open on dimness. "Power probably off!" Exclaims his OS, his otherself.
"Need to find the switch."
"Leave it! Candles by the Guestbook."
Fumbles with his Majcha, a few seconds, a whisper of breath makes the coal bright red and a candle stub sputters to life. Two more candles, light up the dust covered, open pages of the Guestbook. A blood stained cloth wipes the pages. "No one has been here for over a year. They should at least sign the guest book." "Things never change." OS replies
He grunts looking for a peg to hang up his things. He eases of the heavy weapon harness, then his heavy doubled, boiled bear skin, great coat. The chain mail scraps against the ceramic tiles in the coat.
The old man looks bigger without his harness and great coat as if his body has expanded, once free.
He pats his friend, the bears, and sneezes. "Be needing to get it cleaned." "Just like this place!" "I wonder where the staff is?" Off chasing the bar maids." "There was only one!" "Okay then, after the bar maid." "I think she caught him."
He looks over at the dirty bar. A large sipper was pouring a drink for a huge bug. The bug moved its knight on the chess board.
"Now look what we have here, Now!" The Old One shouts.
"He better use a clean glass when he pours for use." OS states and is ignored.
"And just what have we here?" The Old One questioned.
The huge bug, cockroach, looks at him, jesters to the chess board.
The over grown spider, puts a cleaner glass on the bar top.
"I said a clean glass!" Remarks OS.
The spider rubs the glass clean with a dirty bar rag. It nudges a triple XXX brown jug to the old man.
"Triple XXX is poison?"
The spider pours and sips from the glass.
"Good! Now use a clean glass for me."
The spider rubs one clean and pours. The bug make a crude jester.
"Mind your manners or a exterminator will!" "Better to ask where the barkeep is." OS says.
A note is put in front of him. "Me and the Maid are off to see her parents, in Sweden. We both quit." It pauses and continues. "Now I like me girls to have a touch of padding, not boney or over stuffed. The parents are huge, so I left running. They are following. Grabbed a small pouch of coin from the back bar to run on." Pauses again. "Gotta run! They're close now!" The note goes silent.
"It looks like the blonde thought she had him." "Fast feet can change that." "Unless he gets caught." He takes a sip and smiles.
The note starts up again. "I found a saloon with thirsty patrons. Took two kegs of beer, to keep them from spoiling and a small keg of the good stuff. Why waste it on bugs." The note ends.
"I wonder if the that is all."
"There is no more this time." The note states.
"Get this place cleaned up. I'll make sure you get fresh milk and cookies for CE Joe. Be sure you have them for Joe. I'll see if I can find a retired barkeep that won't mind you being here." The Old One tells the bugs.
"Do it or the terminator will solve the problem!" Shouts his Otherself.
He now empty glass of the bar and waves off a refill. In less than a minute, the Bear and harness are on. The now older man limps out the door. The door slowly creaks closed.

"Will it be an other year?" The Old Man forgot to sign the Guest book but he did add these scribblings.

:wece:

For the veterans out there. "Suck it up and soldier on!"

/edit;

Shout out to Old CE Joe! Could use a graphic emotion here with a link to the Guestbook, just for grins.

I'm done now! U guys know the drill by now. The above is my scribblings, copyrighted by the Crusty Walking Stick!
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 04:48:43 pm by bdpf »
.\\||||||//.

Offline bdpf

• Poke This Member
Re: The tavern of Geglash; Yearly USA Veterain's Day Post
« Reply #340 on: November 12, 2015, 03:28:19 am »
 :welcome: And the Geglash Tavern, dusty and full of cob weds.

Now Here are two links of webwalkers that everyone should have and browsed! New players and those returning after a while away.

Itemlist & cube recipes:
Quests FAQ

The Quest facts link is the important one.. After have two of my guys, characters, blocked from doing the CE extra quests, when a party member does Christs Hammer quest.... Come on guys read about the quest and really enjoy playing here.

And now for the latest addition to the long, strike out all that. This year, since I'm now 70, I thought to scribble out brief history of my past gaming. Well it is not too brief and some things were not included. Read it, enjoy it (I hope) and poke fun at it if you must.

9 November 2015

So there I am, trying to level a teen level sorc, when I realize it is time to get something ready for the yearly post to the Tavern.

I did hear rumor that Old Joe is off milk & cookies, back to lager, ales, oh by gosh the hard stuff. Now this is just a rumor, probably not true. Time to dislodge a few spiders from the bar top and break a ant trail across the bar. Get down there and whip up that spilt drink. Wonder who the slob was?

Since this is the end of my 70th year, I thought I'd spill a little more about the Grumpy Old Generalist that makes these crazy stories up.

It all starts back in the dim past with an old AT pieced together box that a friend helped me with. Yes I do have old friends. It was a big step up for me from a Tandy HX 1000, it did have two floppy drives. The AT box, the kids called Leo the Lion, had a, ah heck, 12 kb or was it a 28 kb dial up modem. That don't matter much, what matters is I score a few more RPG games at the local computer show and I was hooked.

They were all sword & staff D&G RPG games (whack & stack). I like whacking monsters almost as much as freezing them. After a while a new and better game was being touted. Diablo, it was. The bbs boards were all talking about it. For you youngsters the BBS Boards came before Gore's great Web of lies.

The web was up and working letting Diablo start its run as an on-line playable game. The other two Blizzard (boo, hiss) games were up make noise too, on the web. Times were lean if not out right bad with two kids, big mortgage and spotty work. A penny here and a nickle there, let me get my fist copy of Diablo. A monster was born. GRIN

About then work picked up and long train computes let me read and latter write a crappy story line for a game. Told garbage but I was proud of it. Then one night (not playing with Diablo) I learned more about mods on a BBS. A few days latter, I snagged a copy of Hellfire, a semi commercial mod of Diablo. Now it was played off-line and really upped the pleasure of whacking monsters. Time goes quickly while whacking monsters waiting for Blizzard's long delayed Diablo II.

Again penny pinching (that is hard on the fingers) let me get the three CD disk game. It had to be good, it was three disks long. Damn, it was horrible on the old box, Leo the Lion. Off to a computer show with a friend and a pocket of scrap money (lucked into some copper scrap money). After getting a few new pieces and a better used MB & case, D2 ran better. Free Blizzard On-line was a miracle to me. A better dial up modem and I was making friends on line while whacking monsters. A few good years of gaming went quick. Lost touch with my friend, divorce can do that, his, also traveling for work.

My new, used box took a hit with hard drive crash. A collection of used pieces got a box running (limping) and Leo was hurting, had to make it better for the kids. Needed a 2nd one, both girls wanted there own. Those were the days....... I was back using the slowest dial up modem, mostly off_line. One to three second lag doesn't play well.

Someone shook the dial up modem tree and 56 kb modems were every where, cheap. Broad band, DSL was the new thing. I was never at the leading edge on the tech scene. $12.00 bucks and OI was back up with the big boys, ah, sort of. But the 2 & 3 second lag was gone and a ½ second lag I could die by. LOD was still a year or two in the future.

I was still reading and writing on the long train commutes, when working downtown. A story this time, better but not really much better than before. Early morning train rides require coffee, smokes and naps. Fortune favored me while working a nuke (power plant) close to home, over time, extra money. Then a coal plant, more over time. Got a better used box, wife got $8.00 cable, no adverts. We thought we had made it. It snowed and snowed, work dried up, till spring. No body knew how to dress and work in the cold weather any more, the pussies. Bean counters were the blame. (men didn't work well in cold weather.) We just were stuck home, hoping the unemployment didn't run out. Don't forget about getting a new bigger mortgage because the other ended with big balloon payment. The wife did it.

Working again, kid needed DSL or is it broadband, huh? The kids got it, so did I. I the fumbling thumbs tech guy for the whole family, including grand kids. Back up with Blizzard & LOD, till the mid 90s....

Traveling for work (no work to be had at home), nukes, paper mills, refineries, gone five, six, seven days a week. Some how managed to get money home using branch banks. Reading and radio, hamburger or beer on pay day, keep just enough till next pay day. Never grossed so much and been so poor. But the mortgage was paid every month and the kids ate well. Or was that the grand kids?

The years do blend together in the blender I have for a mind. When not traveling I was up with LOD and then CE mod, our favorite Chaos Empire. At first Joe let anyone play on-line. Then started to ask for donations to keep the servers running.

Have you donated?

I donated when I could and was off-line mostly. A couple hard drive crashes, a different box or two and I had to retire early. A couple lean but livable years before all the pensions kick in and now were almost here in 2015. Still off line, writing some of the stories that I posted in the past. Got some extra and bought a fast, smart brand new box, with windows 7 (boo, double hiss). Good enough to be a central smart comp in one of my stories but not the main or weapons smart comp. Might be the last box I ever have.

Writing and playing of line, a bit extra and donate nicely when Joe needed it badly. Now on line most days, not doing much else.

BY THE WAY HAVE YOU MADE EVEN A SMALL DONATION TO CE.

Darn ants are back in force, a soapy spritz ends that, slipping and sliding to hell.

Hey Joe don't let the beer go flat. Where are you? I see your handle on line but I won't tell what it is.

So far this is two pages of my grumpy history. Kept everyone fed and started in collage, even if I didn't pay the tuition. Scholarships are great, makes them keep the average up. I can now pay extra on the mortgage so things are fair to good.

Now Joe wants ideas that can improve the mod. Who cares if there hair brained, they might just work.

An old one, sockets on charms, Joe. One on a large, two on a grand. Can you up the rate of rare charm drops? Can we use some oil on them ? ? ?

All these +3 skill items make it real hard for some characters to survive in the mid teen levels, in the last part of act one. Of coarse I like to whack and stack even with a sorc...Grin. +3 armor is good, need better class specific armor for the less robust characters. Requiring them to be under a certain low level with 2-3 + experience. Just one of my odd thoughts. Limit the item to be used in certain acts not by level (item can be used in acts 2 & 3 only). Then the players would have to really look for better item drops and stop all the running in the halls. Some players do gamble too much, playing to gamble. Grin
 :wece:

Bye till next time

bdpf, the grumpy old man, a generalist. Never put all your eggs in one basket, skills that is.

.\\||||||//.

• 1st CE Player
    • Poke This Member
    • My inhabitant post
« Reply #341 on: November 12, 2015, 03:38:40 pm »
:)
i really love to read your stories

Lot of them make me think about my live

items that can get used act only are not possible, as far as i remember

for sockets in charms i need to review, but as far as i remember also not possible, but not sure for this

now i will sit down, lean back and drink my beer..aaaahhh this is a good idea after those stupid childs already throwing firecrackers around...driving my dogs crazy

Offline bdpf

• Poke This Member
« Reply #342 on: November 12, 2015, 11:03:44 pm »
Hi ya Joe

Toss water balloons at the kids, wet fire crackers don't go bang!

LPT from bdpf
.\\||||||//.

Offline webwalker

• Owner of the post with highest quality
  • my Votes: +37/-8
  • The Rune after "Jah" should be "WOHL!" yes?
    • Poke This Member
    • My Inhabitant Post.
« Reply #343 on: November 12, 2015, 11:22:50 pm »
bdpf: Freeze the water balloon first?  Not solid, just slushy.

Joe: Have you noticed skellies usually ignore mosquito nests?  They may make a hit or two then they're like "OH LOOK OVER THERE!  A SQUIRREL!"
I wonder if they have a size (to the game engine, not graphics) so small the skellies usually don't notice them.

I don't know what good is Wand Mastery since wands do very little damage; but if it were Teleport instead I'd be a very happy camper.

Maybe we should make up a skelliemancer-specific set.

• 1st CE Player
    • Poke This Member
    • My inhabitant post
« Reply #344 on: November 13, 2015, 11:03:23 am »
good point, i have to look at wands, maybe their dmg can get increased

if a mosquito nest is handled as something, what skelletons makes fear...it shall be visible in the excel, also an option t look for

but first i go to a store and buy balloons...i assume slushed water...wont make blue spots on the skin...but hurt enough..like always people say, if you slap a face, use a phonebook...